Experience Chadar Trek (Short Trip)
"Every travel with WANDERERS is an experience of a life time."
Chadar Trek a thrilling and adventurous trek in India. "CHADAR" is a hindi word that refers to a "blanket" or "sheet" as the Zanskar river transforms itself from a rapid river into a white blanket of ice during winter, a frozen spectacle awaits the trekker to be experienced of glass ice ranging from a bluish tinge to golden yellow that is seen during the few hours that sunlight reaches directly into the gorge to the milky whitish on a moonlit night - as said a trek journey like no other!
You walk on a frozen river called the "Zanskar". The frozen Zanskar river served and still serves as the traditional and only way of connecting between Leh and Zanskar for the locals in the harsh winter months of Ladakh. It's being used by the locals for centuries. Its rated as one of the best treks existing in the planet by many.
We at WANDERERS have been taking our fellow trekkers on this trek for many years to witness mother nature's wonder. Our "Guides" and "Trek Leaders" are experienced and certified trekking guides who will lead your way on this adventure.
Region: Leh, Ladakh, J & K, INDIA
Grade: Moderate (winter trek)
Max Altitude: 11,123 feet
Days: 7 nights/ 8 days (Leh to Leh)
Trekking distance: kms
1. Safety – As much you may hate to accept, it's true, all adventure sports holidays have potential risk to your life & well-being; This is also the biggest deterrent, as the family is never confident or are unwilling to take the risk; Therefore at WANDERERS we understand the safety standards and have accurate and defined procedures and plans; These include evacuation plans along with a certified first aid administrator and basic first aid kit along with an oxygen cylinder.
2. Local knowledge – Most of the adventure sports activities happen in remote places; a local guide or a team lead from the region is a must in those expeditions; when you are dealing with local people he/she can be a great asset when, if you need help in a distress situation or just help you understand the culture better, so that you don't end up offending people. for example, places like Leh, where altitude is a major challenge, only a local person can accurately predict any inconvenience or uneasiness people feel, thus identifying the issue and finding solutions are much easy than depending on bookish knowledge. When you travel with us 90% of the support staff that will accompany you on the trek with be local to ensure a smooth trek.
3. Right accommodation and Equipment – These two are non-negotiable item on our list. Everyone promises neat & hygienic accommodation, but when you are on a physically demanding trip comfort is equally important; A good sleep in the night can make a lot of difference in the quality of your activity the next day; we will ensure the best facilities possible in remote locations. We have certified tents \ sleeping bags \ accessories that will be carried on the trip for your comfort. Along with this, we will be carrying portable oxygen along with us for emergency use. For washrooms, there will be portable tents setup at camping ground to use.
4. Food VS Nutrition – when you are involved in a demanding physical activity it's not only important to eat, but even more important to eat right; we will provide you with good & nutritious food vegetarian food on this trip while camping. We will ensure that we take care of your calorie intake required to keep you well-nourished both during and after the activity.
Day 1:- Fly to Leh (Altitude 11,400 ft.). Stay in guest house. Getting used to the temperature and the altitude we eat, rest and repeat for the day. Have a briefing session in the evening over tea where we share the entire details of the trek once again. Hydrate well today as it helps in acclimatization.
Day 2:- Acclimatization day. Walk around the Leh Market and pick up trekking gum boots for Chadar and do some sightseeing for the day. Have lunch and get back to the accommodation in time. Make sure not to exert too much.
Day 3:- Visit the SNM Hospital for checkup – By the end of the Chadar season 2018, a new policy for the safety of trekkers was introduced by the J&K Got. As per this policy each trekker has to visit the Sonam Norbhu Memorial Hospital and get a routine check-up done. On completion of this we sort the wildlife permits and permissions and head back to our accommodation and get ready for the next day to start.
Day 4:- Drive to Shingra Yokma via Chilling and trek to Gyalpo (Altitude 11,400 to 10,550 ft.)
Drive 72 kms of picturesque landscape along the river Indus.
Cross Chilling and get to Shingra koma and start the trek of 9.5 kms post the briefing with the Trek Leader. Depending on the weather, the path will be decided on the way. After passing Shingra Koma, you reach the camp-site for the day at Gyalpo, where the tents have already been pitched by the porters. The Gyalpo campsite is at a bend in the river, surrounded by high peaks and walls of rock-faces which almost look man-made. All that is left to do is to soak in the views, have an early dinner and call it a day.
Day 5:- Gyalpo attempt towards Tibb and return to Gyalpo (Altitude 10,550 to 10,550 feet)
Post the briefing with the Trek Leader we start our trek towards the Tibb. We cover the distance for a couple of hours and return to Gyalpo. Today's walk through the deep ravines of the Zanskar is stunning. The sublime walls of the mountains on either sides of the river keep the sunlight away from the Chadar for most part of the day.
Day 6:- Gyalpo to Shingra Koma (Altitude 10,490 to 10,500 ft.)
Trek 5 kms. This day will be easier and short in terms of distance to trek. We return back retracing our steps to get to the Shingra koma. We reach here in about 2 to 3 hours. The camping space here in Shingra Koma is huge. There are sedimentary formations of mud and scree forming mounts that have a spectacular view.
Day 7:- Shingra koma to Shingra Yokma trek and drive to Leh (Altitude 10,500 to 11,400 feet)
Trek 3.5kms. We start after a good breakfast for our final trek on this frozen Chadar. It takes us 2 hours to get to Shingra Yokma. We spend some time here and take the vehicles back to Leh. We get into the stay, have a closing ceremony followed by a good dinner.
Day 8:- Return from Leh post breakfast
After break-fast check-out, until next time.
|Dates||25th Jan 2019|
|Total No. of Days||8 days/ 7 nights ( 3 nights acclimatizing
+ 3 nights on trek + 1 night in Leh)
|Hotel||Homestay \ B&B
* 4 days
* Double Sharing
* Will have hot water on request
* Heater available in the room on request
|Food||* Breakfast and dinner in Leh
* All meals on the trek
|Camping||4 days/ 3 nights
* Double Sharing Basis
* Tent Accommodations
* Double layered sleeping bag
* Hot water for drinking
* 3 meals and 1 snacks every day
* Packed energy food for the trek, everyday
|Trek Lead Ratio||1 TL : 14 Trekkers|
|Guide Ratio||1 G : 14 Trekkers|
|Porter to carry Rucksack||No|
|Price (inc. GST 5%)||INR 22,575|
1.) Accommodation – 4 nights in Leh home stay and 3 nights on Chadar (Camping)
2.) Breakfast in Leh and all meals (Veg. meals only) including dry rations (Juice, Biscuits/cookies, energy bars, fruits if available) on the trek
3.) Trek equipment as tents for camping, kitchen & dining, sleeping bags, fleece liners, trek mats etc. We share the complete list of things to carry with registered participants
4.) Necessary Permits / permissions with environmental fees
5.) First aid medical kit and oxygen cylinder as the medical equipments all along the trek
6.) 1 Qualified trek lead, guide, porters and support staff as the team
7.) Transport from Leh to Road head (Shingra Yokma) on day 4 and return on the second last day
1.) Lunch and dinner while staying in Leh
2.) Your personal trekking equipment must be bought by yourself, i.e. Shoes, Clothes, Rucksack/ Daypack etc
3.) Porter to carry personal luggage. We expect you to carry your own backpack, in case you don't want to, we will arrange for a porter and the charges can be paid on the site.
4.) Environmental fees – approx. 2000-2500 INR per person. Hospital check-up fee on day 3 (if any to be borne by the trekkers)
5.) Any kind of personal expenses
7.) Any cost arising due to medical emergency, to be borne by the trekker/ trekkers (if any)
8.) Due to weather conditions/ Chadar deforming conditions Wanderers will not be liable to any sort of refunds. Depending on the situation and availability, we would offer an alternate trek/ trip
9.) Tips to the local staff
10.) Alcohol / Soft drinks expenditure
11.) Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
Payment to be made by Bank Transfer/Cheque/DD in favour of M/S Wanderers payable at New Delhi/Gurgaon or online through our payment gateway.
New Friends Colony
Account Number: 006961900002710
Account Type: Current Account
Name: M/S Wanderers
IFS Code: YESB0000069
Payment for this trip will not be adjusted against any future trips.
45 Days: Full refund (after deducting any expenses that have been incurred for hotel bookings, transport, etc.
30-45 Days: 75% of trip cost will be refunded (after deducting any expenses that have been incurred for hotel bookings, transport, etc.
15-30 Days: 50% of trip cost will be refunded (after deducting any expenses that have been incurred for hotel bookings, transport, etc.
15 Days: No refund